Tuesday 8 January 2013

07.01.13 Kilbirnie 2KM Swim

As mentioned in my previous post there is another Half Ironman in what is now 12 days time so it was back in the pool this morning.  When the alarm went off at 5:00am all I wanted to do was turn it off and go back to bed.  I don't need to get up surely!!  I put the snooze button on and 10 minutes later the alarm goes off again.  It is time to get up.  I slide out of bed and get changed before heading downstairs.  I don't feel like much to eat which is not a good start as I always eat before swimming but I am not going to do a hard session.  I jump in the car and head to the pool. When I get there the car park is not exceptionally busy and I wonder how many people are still away.  I enter the pool and start getting changed and realise that no one from my squad is around especially my coach.  I stand there and come to the conclusion that everyone is still on Holidays and I have read the calendar incorrectly.  I move my stuff and jump in the Medium fast lane, right next to a guy that used to be in my squad and the winner of my Age Group in Tauranga.

I am keen to test out my new watch.  It has a swimming function on it that apparently can tell how many laps you have done as well as measure your stroke rate.  I have watched a video on it when I was researching the watch and could not believe it so this morning I was going to put it through it's paces.  I set the watch to a 25 metre pool and dove in.  I decided to do a quick warm up and test to see what happened.  I turned at the 25 metre mark and looked down at my watch whilst completing the turn to see it had measured 25 metres.  I started heading back down the pool and began another turn again whilst looking at my watch to see it said 50 metres.  It was amazing as it was also calculating my stroke count as well.  I continued on completing laps, counting them in my head and occasionally looking at my watch to see that it was counting correctly and it was.  Before I knew it I had completed 300 metres and was feeling sensational.  Right there and then I decided to keep going and do a 2km swim.  I was not wanting to go fast,  I just wanted to roll the arms over.  I was not flying today but I most certainly was feeling energized and very comfortable.  I was not focussed on time just completing 2km.

I was getting near the end and looked down at my watch to see that I was going to complete the 2km in 35 minutes and 50 seconds, a very similar time to what I had completed in my race in Tauranga.  Yes I was pushing off walls but I was also not wearing a wetsuit and had a strong current pulling me towards buoys.  I was happy with the time and very surprised with how I felt.  I had taken today off from work as I wanted to spend time with my family after coming back to Wellington.  I grabbed a coffee from the pool and headed back home for a relaxing day.  Attached is the link to my swim session this morning.  Now I have a watch that works I will be able to put more links on so that you can see my progress towards the Auckland Half Ironman on the 20th.

07.01.13 Kilbirnie 2KM Swim by IronmanBarefoot at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment