Saturday 5 January 2013

05.01.13 Race Day

I remember reading somewhere in a Triathlon magazine that you need to make sure that you have a good nights sleep two nights before a race because no matter what, you will not have a good sleep the night before a race.  That certainly rang true for the sleep that I had prior to the race.  It didn't help that Lachlan also must have been nervous because he was waking up nearly every hour and despite me having my ear plugs in, it didn't help.  Before I knew it I was getting the tap on the shoulder that my 4:00am alarm was going off and it was time to get up.  I pressed the snooze button and slowly woke myself up before getting up at 4:10am and starting my preparations.  First things first, the sunscreen was applied.  There would be no other opportunity to put it on so it has to be put on now, making sure that all areas that are covered as after the swim I knew there was a chance that would be out in the sun for up to 5 hours.  Next was the chaffing cream.  Again, not many chances to apply this once you are out on the course...

I headed out to the lounge room for a big bowl of porridge and a slice of fruit bread before pulling on the racing suit, and a layer of clothes.  Before I knew it, it was 4:50am and it was time to get my pre-packed bags and jump in the car.  We made it to the course at around 5:10am and my final preparations for the race began.

No comments:

Post a Comment